Looking for answers
Ask a question

I am going abroad and don't want my card to be blocked, what should I do?

If you intend to use your personal debit or credit card abroad it is best that you let us know. Telling us in advance that you're travelling will notify our transaction monitoring systems you will be using your debit or credit card abroad. This will significantly reduce the likelihood of your transactions being blocked.

Let us know you'll be using your card abroad

To register your travel plans for your credit card, you can do this on the mobile app

  1. All you need to is tap on your credit card from the main page and go to ‘Manage my card’
  2. Tap ‘Going abroad’ then ‘Add Trip’
  3. Type in the name of your trip, add the dates of when you are departing, and then when you are returning then choose your country.
  4. Tap ‘Register trip’ and your travel plan will be added to your credit card.

You can also register your travel plans for your debit card by logging in to the Mobile app, and from the bottom bar select the Help icon and then 'Going Abroad' and then follow the instructions.

If you are signed up for Digital Banking, you can log on and register the details of your trip yourself by completing the online form. It only takes a few minutes.

All you need to do is select 'Cards' from the left hand menu and register your travel plans in the 'Using your card abroad' section.

For debit cards select ‘Register your travel plans for your debit card ‘and for credit cards select ‘Register your travel plans for your credit card’.

You can also call Telephone Banking (opens in a new window) where our staff would be happy to help do this for you. Just make sure you let us know at least 24 hours in advance. If you have a credit card, you can also call Credit Card Services.

Card services
0370 907 0010 (overseas +44 1268 508018)
Minicom: 0800 141 3999
Open 24 hours a day.
Calls may be recorded.
Call charge information.

You should make a note of our numbers before you travel, so that you can get in touch with us easily if you need to.